Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Good News and Bad News

I am happy that Canadians were intelligent enough to stop short of granting Harper a majority government. But, I can't even figure out why the CRAP party won. At the very least, they ought to have received some comeuppance for ignoring the fixed election date law and wasting $300 million of taxpayers' money on an election we did not need just to come to a decision that is much the same as we had before. Brilliant, Stephen.

But, I have to say that I am really irritated by the election turnout, which was an underwhelming 58%, the lowest in Canadian history. What the hell is wrong with us? Almost half of us don't care who wins and refuse to exercise a right that many in the world would die for? Come on, people. Apathy about elections really infuriates me. I am angry with you 42%, really angry.

7 comments:

A said...

It's unfortunate that so many people take voting for granted or just don't care about who's elected. I think it's fun to sit and speculate who would have won if more people would have vote.

Did you know that Australia's average voter turn out is like 95%?

Unknown said...

Well, isn't voting in Australia mandatory? Like they get fined or something if they don't vote?

I voted despite feeling like it didn't matter. Usually I feel good voting but not this time.

At least I had fun with CBC's interactive map. Got watch all the ridings I used to live in.

tweetey30 said...

Elections can be that way. they suck but I am glad we dont live in a country where we have a leader and no one else..

Kate said...

That makes me crazy and you know it's even worse where I live. I always lecture my students about it. I'll do more this year because there's a really important election and I have lots of kids who are 18.

A said...

Jen, I was unaware that voting is mandatory in Australia. I was just looking at a voter turn out chart. Now I feel like an ass.

Bridget Jones said...

I"m not too impressed with that turnout either. OK so they all were turkeys, it's stupid to ride the wave of 'whatever'!

I can understand why no one voted for yet another tax, but to vote CCRAP?????

Anonymous said...

As with anything the worse it gets the more people who vote. The US during good times looks paltry 60 -67 percents, but every large election since the late 80's that seems to have increased, can't wait to see this time around.