Friday, November 14, 2008

Bananas and Sleep and Politics

Is there anything more disappointing than going into your usual grocery store and discovering that all of the bananas are as green as emeralds? It either takes a week for the bastards to ripen, or they do so overnight, because they are genetically-inferior and end up tasting awful.

But, on to more important things. For some inexplicable reason, I slept very badly last night. I woke at 3:00 AM and failed to get back to sleep. I really hate it when that happens, mostly because I am a great sleeper and rarely have any problems.

In other news, an old high school friend showed up on Facebook. Two, actually. That's all well and good. One friend now lives in a large American city. During our exchange of messages, he complained that the democrats were now coming to power and that this would sink the economy. Is he on drugs? I wanted to ask him if he happened to notice that the economy tanked on the Republicans' watch. Of course, talking politics and religion with friends is probably a bad idea.

I am kicking myself for not taking today off. I like taking Fridays off. Why didn't I take Friday off?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Freaky. I was up at four and couldn't get back to sleep. Must be something weird in the air or the full moon or something.

I try to keep ahead of the bananas, buying a few every few days, so that the green ones have time to ripen and do so just as I run out of ripe ones. I've never seen a ripe banana in a grocery store here.

A said...

I don't know why you didn't take today off. I should have taken today off too.

The only thing more disappointing then finding unripe bananas at the grocery store is finding unripe mangoes. :(

zydeco fish said...

Yes, I totally agree. Mmmm, mangoes.

tweetey30 said...

Talking ripe banana's I agree with you both totally.. I hate eating a unripe banana. They have this taste to them.. Yikes...

Super Happy Jen said...

Bananas are impossible. They are too green and hard and then suddenly they're spotty and black and good for nothing but banana bread. I like banana bread ok, but using the same ingredients minus the banana, one could make an equally delicious dessert. I just want a spotless yellow banana to eat, not to bake with, not to use as a blunt instrument! TO EAT.

Deodand said...

I keep paper lunch bags around for the express ripening treatment. It works on many fruits because they can marinate in their own hormones, which are released through the skin, and ripen properly.

Bridget Jones said...

your old high school pal must be on drugs!!! Or else kidding.

I hear you about bananas. Peaches too.