Wednesday, December 10, 2008

On Giving it Away for Free

People often want to use some of the photos that I have posted on Flickr. My policy has always been to permit not-for-profit organizations to use images (depending on the image) without charge as long as they provide a photo credit and a link back, if possible. I will ask if the org has a budget to acquire photos, and occasionally they do. If the organization is a business or some other money-making venture, then I will charge. Not everyone feels this way.

Too many photographers on Flickr, and probably other photo sharing sites, give it away for free, just to see their photo in print. A contact of mine recently allowed Parks Canada to use a photo in a national brochure for free! That's insane. People like this are doing a serious disservice to professional photographers. If we are all willing to give our work away, how can people who earn a living from photography be expected to stay in business? They are screwing their professional friends.

Recently, a very large Canadian law firm asked to use a photo of mine for some holiday correspondence. I negotiated a fee of $500. The law firm dude told me that he was searching for several photos, but that my price was OK with the company. I heard from this firm one more time, and then they evidently found a few suckers who were willing to surrender their photos to a huge corporation for absolutely no compensation. I am not really too concerned about the cash, though it would have been nice. I am really irritated that these yahoos don't get it.

Submitting a photo to a literary, art, or photography journal is different. Giving your photo to anyone who asks is wrong, especially if they are using it to promote their business and increase profits. Wise up, people.

10 comments:

ShellyS said...

I guess I'm one of those photographers who give it up for free. I'm not a professional and I am not looking to make money off my photos. I share on flickr because, well, I want to share them. At first, I reserved all rights, but then I realized it didn't matter. Anyone could grab them without asking and if I didn't want anyone using them, I shouldn't post them. So I put a fairly liberal Creative Commons license on them and I don't require payment. I do require that the user does not make a profit from it, since I'm not. I do not consider myself a "sucker" who doesn't get it. Nor am I eager to see my work in print. I don't even ask for a copy. It really doesn't matter to me. And the ability of professional photographers to make a living isn't my responsibility. Same as I'd sometimes make my own craft items or get a friend to do me one as a favor rather than paying for one someone else has made.

Someday, should I decide to sell my photos, I won't put them on flickr or other photo sharing sites, other than samples. I'll find other venues to sell, because it's very clear to me that flickr is not the place for that sort of venture.

I could post my writing online for free, too, and I wouldn't think I'm a sucker for doing that, either, or that I'm doing a disservice to writers who sell their works. For my writing, right now I prefer to exhaust paying markets before I do that.

ShellyS said...

I forgot to click to get email updates on this, so I have to comment again to do so. Just ignore this. ;)

zydeco fish said...

I was thinking mostly of those who want to use photos for commercial purposes, including advertising. For that, I think they should have to pay and I am surprised that others don't care about that.

I like the Creative Commons and think it was a much needed development. I know it's an individual decision. I have found that some of my photos (which include copyright text) have been copied and placed on other websites without permission. I find this fascinating, but I haven't complained since I haven't objected to the way in which they were used, and - so far- it has been non-commercial usage.

There is lots of rampant image theft on Flickr, where users have discovered their photos in use in ways they never intended. It's amazing that so many people feel that they can take whatever they want from the web. It's frightening.

Most CC licenses on Flickr fall under one of the non-commercial categories, which is good news.

ShellyS said...

The fact that people can have various views on this does not negate their views. I personally don't want people earning money from my photos if I'm not, but I do understand that there are people who don't care about that, either.

As for the taking of photos from flickr without permission, people do that from all sorts of sites, including graphics from blogs and LiveJournal, etc. It's even worse when they hotlink instead of copying and uploading to their own server. So many people have come to view the web as a free for all. If it's online, it's theirs for the taking. It's a whole new mentality that goes far beyond people photocopying from books.

Yeah, it's a bit scary, and I wonder how all this will look in another generation.

tweetey30 said...

I dont have flickr and wont have flickr either. I dont want more to remember on the internet. I have my photo's down loaded on facebook and myspace but other wise I am happy with my thing I got with my camera..

mister anchovy said...

I like the Creative Commons non-commercial concept, and I post that on my blog.

Bridget Jones said...

Giving stuff away that others use, some for profit? Sounds a bit off.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for posting this.

Super Happy Jen said...

It's the same with writers. If you're giving stuff away, or selling yourself cheap, you're not just cheating yourself, but also anyone else trying to make a living.

Anonymous said...

Hi- I'm glad to see you're still online. (Am here from Jay's blog.) Don't know if you remember me, but regardless, I've expanded my art beyond painting to photography.
There are a few readers who must comment on the "distracting copyright symbol and wording" across the middle of my photos and tell me how I should mark or not mar my photos. LOL
I make money from them as part of my livelihood. Do I want them lifted from the net? Do I want to need to track down the thieves? No, so yes, I splash the copyright in an ugly manner in a place that spoils even cropping my photo.

Many I show on my blog, are ones that are currently in shows or hospitals, private collections, etc. I'm glad you did negotiate a darn good price for your work! It DOES make it harder for professionals, like me, or anyone wanting to augment their income, when others freely give away spectacular shots.

Glad I found your site yet again.
`Gel (Green-Eyed Lady)