Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Occupy Toronto

I have walked through the Occupy Toronto encampment a couple of times recently. I have some sympathy with the movement, and I truly believe that the group raises important points that deserve wider discussion. The big bailouts given to major corporations and banks worldwide concerned me, especially as taxpayer money was used. No bailouts were given to homeowners facing foreclosure. As Neil Young sang:

There’s a bailout coming but it’s not for me

It’s for all those creeps watching tickers on TV

There’s a bailout coming but it’s not for me
 
Millions of people were stripped of their homes (or they simply walked away) as a result of some really disastrous banking policies that should never have been permitted. Homeowners were caught up in the middle of bad banking. On the other hand, it is clear to me that the consequences of not bailing out banks and corporations would have led to far more severe economic consequences.

The problem with Occupy Toronto is twofold. First, Canada was spared the worst of the economic crisis, so they might have difficulty achieving any more traction that they currently have. Second, they have marginalized themselves by the choice of location for this demonstration. They are clearly too far from the economic centre of Toronto. Granted, they would have had a hard time establishing a foothold anywhere near Bay street, so St. James Park it is.

I asked a person involved with the movement if she knew how many people are generally present in the park as part of Occupy Toronto. She said that there were 250 to 300 tents, and that there could be as many as 400 people camping out. She also tried to hand me a flyer for an event that happened on the 29th of October, and then asked me what the date was. I can commiserate: while camping, I often loose track of time.

I think that the 99% vs. 1% is far too simplistic.  I am not the 1%, but I am certainly not the 99%. I think that there is a middle ground, a large percentage that would not consider themselves part of the 99%, but recognize that they are not the 1% either. I don't see this as a problem.

The other thing I observed (and this might just have been a reflection of when I went and where I chose to stand), but it occurred to that the use of cigarettes by protesters is far too pervasive and indefensible. I kept having to move to avoid noxious smoke. I mean, if you are upset with multinational corporations, why smoke? Tobacco companies are notorious for destroying the health of the world's citizens, leading to escalating health and social costs.  I had to chuckle at the smoke-free area after having seen signs opposing alcohol consumption in general, as such use might inhibit revolution.  It seems to me that Occupy Toronto should be an entirely smoke-free zone. Stop giving profits to evil corporations who suck money out of the pockets of those who can generally least afford it. Do that, and you will get more sympathy from me.

1 comment:

zydeco fish said...

By the way, I might post a couple of photos later.