Monday, July 28, 2014

Alphaville: Big in Japan (extended remix/extended instrumental) (1984)


I know, the cover photo is crooked. 

Surprisingly, the first single from the album Forever Young was not Forever Young. It was Big in Japan, a song that apparently described the phenomenon of a band being more popular in Japan than in the home nation. (I am sure that Cheap Trick could identify with that). Well, that's what some people say. According to the Allmusic Guide, the song is about something else entirely:

"Alphaville singer Marian Gold claimed that their debut single, Big in Japan, was a metaphor for the perils of heroin addiction." Well, who knows?

Neon on my naked skin
Passing silhouettes
Of strange illuminated mannequins
Shall I stay here at the zoo
Or shall I go and change my point of view
For other ugly scenes
You did what you did to me
Now it's history I see
Things will happen while they can
I will wait here for my man tonight
It's easy when you're big in Japan




You tell me.

No comments: