Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Bryan Adams: Waking up the Neighbours (1991)


I think it's safe to say that by the early 1990s, consumers were buying fewer and fewer records, and turning to compact discs. I am confident that I did not buy any vinyl records in the 1990s (at least not new ones), which means that this record was likely a gift...from someone.

Evidently, this release sold 16 million copies, and I am willing to bet that most of that 16 million were on compact disc. The advent of the CD platform led to longer albums. Rather than 35 to 40 minutes, typically found on records, CDs were lengthening out to 60 minutes and more. This means that most newer CDs need two pieces of vinyl to contain all of the tracks. In other words, most new CDs are really double albums. I guess that's the one benefit of CDs. You just get more music.

Unfortunately, this is a not always a good thing, as in the case with this record. There are simply too many songs. In fact, if you divided the record in half, that would be just about right. Of course, you would need to make a decision about what's in and what's out, but a good starting place would be (Everything I Do) I Do It for You. Let's just kick that one to the curb. It's simply abysmal.

It seems that Mutt Lange tried to make Bryan Adams sound like Def Leppard. In the end, there are really only one or two songs that pass muster. By the way, if someone ever did wake me up with this record, I just might have to use it like two Frisbees.

I am not going to embed a video here. Sorry, but no. 

No comments: