Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Laurie Anderson: Big Science (1982)


I still remember the first time I heard the song O Superman. I was struck by the minimalist weirdness, which I loved and still do. It's a mesmerizing song, like the opening track, From the Air, though that's not a song you would want to listen to while flying. The rest of the album is solid, too. In fact, I own this release on compact disc as well. That fact will suggest that either:

1) I love the music
2) the CD was a gift
3) the CD was very cheap

In this case, it's #1.

Laurie Anderson is generally described as a performance artist, experimenting with multimedia, including film and spoken word. At first pass, these do not seem to be the necessary ingredients for  great music, especially recorded music that lacks the visual context, but it works. The added element of humour, really rounds out the experience.

No comments: