Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Laurie Anderson: O Superman b/w Walk the Dog (1981)


This 12" EP was released in advance of Big Science. The b-side contains a song called Walk the Dog. I remember coming home after I bought the EP and I decided to put on the b-side first, since I was familiar with O Superman. I was perplexed by the sound coming out of my speakers, more so than I had expected. The music sounded absolutely crazy to me, and it wasn't until I flipped the record over to side a, that I realized that I had spun it at 33 1/3 RPM rather than 45 RPM. The song is weird, but it's even weirder at the wrong speed.

Playing a record at the wrong speed is not something that is easily accomplished with a CD, unless you rip the CD and mess around with the music in some sort of audio editor.

No comments: