Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Laurie Anderson: Home of the Brave (1986)

 
Home of the Brave is, without question, my favourite Laurie Anderson record. I own a copy on CD and I used to have a copy on cassette. Home of the Brave is the soundtrack to the concert movie of the same name, but it contains far fewer tracks. Also, some of the tracks on the album were re-recorded, and sound somewhat different from the concert film.

It's difficult to choose my favourite track, but it would either be Smoke Rings or Language is a Virus. Oddly, I think I prefer Anderson's vocal on Sharkey's Night much better than the William S. Burroughs vocal on the same track on Mister Heartbreak.

Once again, we are treated to some truly amazing guitar work from Adrian Belew.

If you want to see the whole film, including many more tracks not included on this album, you can do so here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osHBA6YAHAo.

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now only much much better:"

No comments: