Friday, July 25, 2014

The Alarm: Delcaration (1984)

I might describe The Alarm as part hair band, part Clash wannabees, part proto-punk pseudo-acoustic pretentious anthemic rockers, or something like that. They had a big sound and big hair to go with it. They were never anywhere close to being as good as the Clash or U2, to whom they were sometimes compared. Someone even once compared this band with The Jam, but I think that does a great injustice to The Jam.

Declaration, the first album from The Alarm, contains possibly the most recognizable Alarm song: Sixty Eight Guns. I truly like that song, even today. I am not sure if the album is some sort of call to arms for the working class, or simply an attempt at high voltage rock. In any case, to my ears, it's just a tad over-produced.

There's definitely lots of energy on this first record, and it's not that bad. I am not sure if it has aged well, unlike me, but that's another story.


No comments: