Friday, August 15, 2014

Bauhaus: The Sky's Gone Out (1982)


I have a UK pressing of the third record from Bauhaus.

I don't think I can discuss Bauhaus without mentioning Kim Hughes, the former host of CFNY's Live in Toronto radio show. I liked the show and generally appreciated her interviews, but she really irritated one day me when she dissed Bauhaus. According to her, Bauhaus were only known for Bela Lugosi's Dead and Telegram Sam, the latter of which is a cover of a T Rex song. Musical tastes are personal, of course, but her comments screamed ignorance. 

This album commences with a high-energy cover of Brian Eno's Third Uncle. It's fantastic. But, I wonder why Kim Hughes didn't mention that this song is also a cover version? It's because she simply doesn't (or didn't) know very much about the band. Bauhaus is one of my favourite bands, and I have all of the releases on CD.

No comments: