Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Rob Base & D.J. E-Z Rock: It Takes Two b/w It Takes Two (Instrumental) (1988)


It may surprise you to discover that I have a small collection of hip hop records. I will go out on a limb and say that It Takes Two is perhaps the best hip hop song ever made. I know, we have to give credit to James Brown who wrote and produced Think (About it) as sung by Lyn Collins. Rob Base sampled a part of this song. Cue up 1:22 of this track to see what I mean: http://youtu.be/eHn48b7iWF0.

I have a funny story about the first time I ever heard It Takes Two, but it's far too long to relate here. Oddly, it was in the most non-urban place imaginable and involved two African-Canadian men who had never ventured out of Toronto before that day.

I think my 12" copy is a DJ version, so it lacks a distinctive cover and is housed in a simple black jacket with a label cut-out. I used to know all of the words, and even today, I can rap along with most of it, but not in public.

I have heard many people say things such as, I like all kinds of music, but not hip hop or rap. That's silly, although I admit that have a really difficult time with country music, though I make an exception for Johnny Cash. We should all keep an open mind. Turn it up and check out the fresh moves and the fashions of the day. I might have to break out my track suit.

No comments: