Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Billy Bragg: Talking With the Taxman About Poetry (1986)

Untitled
The "Difficult Third Album" from Billy Bragg is one of my Bragg favourites. Bragg brought in other musicians, most notably, Johnny Marr of the Smiths, something that irritated Morrissey, or so I have read. As such, there is much more here that just Billy and his guitar and the echo from the room. The album features Greetings to the New Brunette, a killer Bragg track.

"I'm celebrating my love for you
With a pint of beer and a new tattoo
And if you haven't noticed yet
I'm more impressionable when my cement is wet"

By the way, I read some misheard Bragg lyrics years ago, one of which features the verse above, but misheard as "I'm more impressionable when my semen is wet." That's probably true. Some other great tracks from this record are The Warmest Room, Levi Stubbs' Tears, and (despite what Allmusic thinks), Help Save the Youth of America.

As you can see, I have a UK pressing, complete with the charming "pay no more that £4.49." I think I paid more.

No comments: