Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Billy Bragg: Workers Playtime (1988)

Untitled
The title should really be Worker's Playtime or Workers' Playtime.

There was a time when I was absolutely sick of this record and I would have paid money so that I would never have to hear it again. I heard this album thousands of times back in '88 and '89, and it was killing me slowly. I even saw the tour for this record.

I guess this is Billy's love album, though there are three overtly political songs on it. Billy has always written love songs and mixed them in with political tunes. But, the music and production of this record seems to suggest that love is the major theme.

The three political songs are uneven. There is the really awful Tender Comrade, a song that I just cannot listen to. Rotting on Remand is marginally better, though it is not up to his prior political outings. The best of the political track is Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards, a song that is truly funny and serious at the same time.

I listened to this album for the first time in ages, and I can say that it's pretty good, though it wouldn't make it into my top five Bragg records. My copy is a UK pressing.

No comments: