Friday, September 12, 2014

Blancmange: Mange Tout (1984)


My dad was a major ABBA fan. I suffered through untold hours of ABBA, first from the 8-track player in the living room, and then on vinyl, and then on cassette in my dad's car. I think I still know all of the lyrics to all of the ABBA songs. Just think of the wasted brain storage space. I also wonder if this exposure caused any permanent brain damage.

The very last song ABBA ever recorded turned out to be their best track. I distinctly remember hearing this track and thinking that the Swedish foursome had actually and finally written a good song. I wonder why it took so long.

Two years later, Blancmange covered The Day Before you Came on Mange Tout. They do a good job, but the version is no better or worse than the original, though the pacing seems quicker. It's a fairly faithful rendition. Mange Tout has some great tracks: Don't Tell Me, Blind Vision, etc.

No comments: