Saturday, September 13, 2014

Blondie: Autoamerican (1980)


My brother had a copy of this record, but he lost it somehow or maybe he gave it away or sold it to buy cigarettes, along with all of his other records. In some respects, it wasn't a tragedy that he lost this one, because the hole was drilled in the wrong place, and the record sounded way off, like it was warped, though it wasn't. I picked up a copy sometime later. It was a tragedy that he divested himself of some of his other records.

What a change of sound was this record from previous Blondie releases. It took me a while to adjust to the new sound, which I grew to like.

One thing that really irritated me during this period when cassette tapes were on the ascendancy was the predilection of record companies to place bonus tracks on the cassette that were missing from the vinyl release. In this case, the cassette contained Susie and Jeffrey, the b-side to The Tide is High. Another notable case was the inclusion of Murder by Numbers on the cassette copy of The Police's Synchronicity. That also pissed me off. I remember being duped into buying some cassettes, which I later regretted. How many 'eaten' tapes did it take before I saw the light? I wish I had seen the light before buying all of my Joy Division on tape rather than vinyl.

No comments: