Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Blue Rodeo: Outskirts (1987)


For some reason, I was lucky enough to see Blue Rodeo in concert many times in the 80s, and I even saw them prior to the release of Outskirts, their first album. On one occasion, the band 13 Engines opened for them. During the 13 Engines set, some small guy came out and started dancing like a wild lunatic. He was flailing all over the place, really, like he was insane or had no concern for whatever anyone thought of him. When Blue Rodeo took the stage, I realized that it had been Bobby Wiseman (Blue Rodeo's keyboardist) on the dance floor, dancing like a dancing fool.

Blue Rodeo, as I am sure you know, is a blend of country, rock, folk, and maybe blues. I thought (and still think) that Outskirts is a fantastic record. I own a copy of CD as well. Every song is a winner, apart from the sappy Try, which I can't stand, for many reasons.

No comments: