Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Boston: Don't Look Back (1978)


When I decided to set up my turntable once again, after a lengthy hiatus, this was the first record I played. I guess I wanted to hear something with a lot of energy to see how everything sounded. Vinyl sounded better than I had remembered, even Boston. Though, on Youtube, this song sounds is a bit tinny to my ears. That might be generally true of most recordings on Youtube.

I suppose the most critical thing one could say about this sophomore Boston effort was that it is, in many ways, identical to the first album. But, people don't like to be surprised. They like things to stay the same. They don't like change. (How's that for wild generalizations?). Even the album covers look similar, but that was probably more to do with presenting a consistent image or concept, I suppose.

So, in the end, Boston did look back, despite telling us not to. 

No comments: