Thursday, September 25, 2014

David Bowie: Station to Station (1976)

Untitled
I once watched an interview with Bowie (sometime after Earthling was released) in which he said he had no memory of recording Station to Station. Such is the power of cocaine. Imagine not remembering recording an entire album? I have many gaps in my memory, but, even though I can only remember snippets of being in Kindergarten, for example, I still remember something. Alice Cooper has reported a similar experience with his so-called "blackout" albums.

I also find it amazing that he didn't remember recording a record that is one of his best. I love this record. There are only six tracks, but they are all top notch Bowie.

The return of the Thin White Duke
Throwing darts in lovers' eyes
Here are we, one magical moment, such is the stuff

From where dreams are woven
Bending sound, dredging the ocean, lost in my circle
Here am I, flashing no color

Tall in this room overlooking the ocean
Here are we, one magical movement from Kether to Malkuth
There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station


No comments: