Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Black Angels: Passover (2006)

Untitled
My copy of this record is the second pressing. The first pressing had an embossed cover.

I can't say enough good things about this band. I love everything they have released, starting with Passover, the band's debut record. The hype sticker says:

"Mean psychedelic garage noise...heavy in the best possible way." - MOJO

"The Black Angels live for the drone and the crescendo, the undertow of incantation." - New York Times

Every since I first heard the Velvet Underground, I have been drawn to the drone. Interestingly, the band took its name from The Black Angel's Death Song, a track from the Velvet Underground. That makes sense. If I were rating this record, I would give it a 10/10. It's truly brilliant.

You might recognize Young Dead Men from True Detective.


No comments: