Monday, September 29, 2014

The Box: Closer Together (1987)


The Box's third album contained two hits, as far as I can tell. I don't normally concern myself with hits, but these are probably the songs that most people know. I often prefer album tracks to the singles. I am not sure if that is from over-exposure to the single or simply that other tracks on certain albums are better. For example, I wouldn't even place Stairway to Heaven in my top ten Led Zeppelin tracks. I like the song, but it's way way down the list. Anyway, I am sure that you have heard Ordinary People and Crying Out Loud for Love.

Ordinary People is a Cold War song, I guess. For years, I thought the song was a relic of a distant past, but with recent events in the Ukraine, I am not so sure. Of course, Sting's Russians, with a similar message, appeared two years earlier than this song.

No comments: