Friday, October 17, 2014

John Cale: Slow Dazzle (1975)

Untitled
It's difficult to choose the best record of the three that Cale did for Island Records. My vote goes to Fear, but only by a slim margin. They are all pretty much equal and fabulous. And, having owned that Island compilation, all of the songs meld into one long album for me anyway.

If you want an example in how to cover a song, this record offers a killer example. You have never heard Heartbreak Hotel like this before.

Naturally, I did not hear any of these three records when they were released. I went through a crazy John Cale phase and discovered these overlooked records. Sure, many people knew about these records, but Cale never got any airplay in Toronto and area, ever. I have never heard John Cale on the radio. Hearing the Velvet Underground on the radio was a rarity, and I think that is something that has only happened comparatively recently.

The only tune I am not fond of is The Jeweller, but I fell the same way about The Gift, by VU. On the other hand, I love A Dream by Cale/Reed on Songs for Drella.


No comments: