Friday, November 07, 2014

Cheap Trick: Heaven Tonight (1978)


"Didn't want to go out but I felt really light.
When someone put on Heaven Tonight."

- Rock Problems, The Hold Steady

When I woke up, mom and dad were rolling on the couch
Rolling numbers, rock and rolling, got my KISS records out

Whenever I hear the song Surrender, I can't help but be reminded of Alice Cooper's song Dance Yourself to Death, and vice versa.

My parents would never listen to my KISS records. In fact, I think they hated most of my music, though probably with a few exceptions that I can't remember right now. Fortunately, that didn't stop my parents from buying records for my birthday and Christmas. I would always have a list of records I wanted to get on hand, just in case, though my dad improvised a couple of times, to my despair, but more on that later.

Heaven Tonight is one of Cheap Trick's best records, though not the first one I owned. Surrender is probably the band's best song. I recall being surprised by Cheap Trick's appearance in the film Daddy Daycare. My daughter was engrossed in the film and I was kind of half watching, when all of a sudden, there was Cheap Trick.

No comments: