Friday, November 21, 2014

Chysalis [Various]: For Promo Only (1987)

This is a strange promo record. I can tell from the scribbling on the label that it passed through the hands of the Vinyl Museum, but I don't think I bought it there. I suspect that it was something that fell into my hands at some point.

It has a couple of tracks--one a cover of the Star Spangled Banner--from Vinnie Vincent, who replaced Ace Frehley in KISS. Those two tracks are forgettable. In fact Ashes to Ashes is horrendous. On the other hand, there is a Housemartins song, which is a god thing. But, Dweezil Zappa covering his dad's My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama is stupid. I just have to ask why? The Divinyls should probably only be remembered for I Touch Myself. Instead, this record includes the boring Back to the Wall. This is a really schizophrenic record, with Sinead O'Connor and Paul Carrack providing some other songs, but then there is an Icehouse song. Oy vey. I should probably expunge this from the collection.

Update: I have removed this record from my collection.

No comments: