Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Clash: The Clash (1977)


"Raise a toast to St. Joe Strummer.
I think he might've been our only decent teacher."

- Constructive Summer, The Hold Steady

This copy of The Clash's debut record is a pressing from Holland. I'm not sure why I ended up with an import, but it reminds me that I should have said that all of these records are Canadian pressings unless stated otherwise. But, I may have forgotten to mention the origin of a few records. Today, as far as I know, any new record pressing sold in Canada is an import, but that could chnage. My understanding is that there are only three pressing plants in the United States at present and none in Canada. That is a major change from 25 years ago. I also understand that there are no efforts to add capacity in this area any time soon. After all, even though they has been a huge resurgence in vinyl sales (something like 6 million new vinyl sales last year and who knows the number of vintage sales?), vinyl only counts for about 2% of total music sales.

The Clash is, without question, one of my favourite bands of all time. This album received quite a lot of critical acclaim upon its release, with good reason. It has been called the greatest rock album of all time, though I might dispute that claim. Of course, there is more than one version of this record. The UK and US versions differ in track selection, which is a bit confusing.

So, here are some live clips:


No comments: