Tuesday, December 02, 2014

The Clash: Combat Rock (1982)


OK, I will admit it: I was disappointed when this album came out. It seemed overtly commercial to me. Both Rock the Casbah and Should I stay or Should I Go struck me as average tracks and so I did not buy the record right away. When I finally obtained a copy of this record I noted, as so often happens, that there are much stronger tracks than the singles. I think I have made my peace with this record, but it does give me pause to note that this is the only Clash studio recording that I do not own on CD.

But, here is a funny story.

I remember listening to the song Rock the Casbah, either on the radio or on cassette (I often taped records to play on my portable cassette player, much like the one in the video below), and my dad said: "Are they saying what I think they are saying?" I was confounded for a moment, but then I said, the song is called Rock the Casbah. I realized that my dad had thought that they were singing "F%@# the Casbah. That should be listed on one of those misheard lyrics sites.

No comments: