Thursday, January 22, 2015

Leonard Cohen: Death of a Ladies' Man (1977)


If you have ever read any biographies of LC, you will already be aware of the bizarre circumstances surrounding the recording of the record and the behaviour of Phil Spector. I remember being very disappointed in this record when I heard it for the first time. That didn't stop me from buying it on CD as well. The truth is, I rarely listen to it, but that mostly has to do with the production. Some of the songs are really good and would be much stronger if delivered in Cohen's trademark sound. Instead, we have a disaster. Memories, which I have heard live, is a really fine song. Some cover versions from the album are OK too, like the Fatima Mansions' cover of Paper Thin Hotel.

Here is a truly perplexing live rendition of Memories.

No comments: