Friday, January 30, 2015

Leonard Cohen: Live In London (2009)

Untitled
I have three copies of this release:

- the DVD
- the double CD (in a digipack)
- the triple LP

Each version contains 25 tracks recorded live at the O2 Arena on July 17th, 2008. The vinyl version was released later than the CD and DVD, arriving on March 31, 2014. This set recorded was part of that never-ending tour that was done in part, I think, to recoup some of the money that was embezzled from Cohen by his former business manager.

I felt truly sorry for Cohen when I heard the news, and I realized early on that any court victory would be hallow, given that the money was probably all gone. On the other hand, this unfortunate event led to many concerts, the world over, that helped to remind the world of his greatness. Perhaps we can also thank that event for the subsequent later studio output, plus Book of Longing. Who knows what might have happened if Cohen's finances weren't burgled.

Whatever the course of events and motivations, I am happy to have this LP. I'm not sure that anything can touch his first live recording, and I think Field Commander Cohen might be a tad stronger than this LP. Nevertheless, Live in London is a remarkable document, and it clearly show the devotion of his audience, his connection to his fan base, and his humour.


No comments: