Friday, January 09, 2015

Leonard Cohen: Songs of Leonard Cohen (1967)


Leonard Cohen is perhaps my favourite singer of all time. In my collection, I have over 100 items, covering CDs (singles, albums, compilations, bootlegs, promotional releases), DVDs, cassettes and records. One my my CDs has Leonard's autograph. On top of that, I think I have copies of all of his books (poetry and novels), biographies, an exhibition catalague of his paintings, books about his music, etc.

I have three copies of Cohen's debut record. The album on the left, in the above photo, is in near mint condition, complete with lyric sheet. I picked that up at least 25 years ago for a steal.

This album is nothing short of a masterpiece. I would regard it as the greatest Canadian record of all time. If you haven't heard it, you should do so. I like all of the songs so much, I have difficulty choosing a favourite, though Stories of the Street would rank very high, along with Suzanne, of course.

Songs of Leonard Cohen was not my first L Cohen record, but more on that later.

No comments: