Thursday, February 26, 2015

Alice Cooper: Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits (1974)


"She said i used to be a speed shooter.
went out deep for guys that looked like Alice Cooper. "

Sketchy Metal, The Hold Steady

I had a copy of this record on cassette when I was a young man and I played it so much that the cassette disintegrated. Years later, I found a cheap copy on vinyl and I had to buy it.

I love all of the tracks on this album, with one exception: School's Out is a ridiculous song. It's infantile and moronic and, even when I was yearning for summer break, I never identified with the song or it's juvenile delivery. On the other hand, there are some really great songs. I'm Eighteen, Under My Wheels, Muscle of Love, etc. I know, some people think that Alice is heavy metal. At this stage, there was no metal. These are well-crafted rock songs. This is the record you want if you want to hear classic Alice Cooper. I give the collection a 9.5 out of 10. It loses half a point for the ridiculous School's Out.

No comments: