Friday, February 06, 2015

Lloyd Cole & the Commotions: Rattlesnakes (1984)


Lloyd Cole & the Commotions were one of my favourite 80s bands, and Rattlesnakes was one of my favourite 80s records. Sadly, their career was short-lived. They produced only three albums from 1984-1987, and I wish there had been more. Rattlesnakes is the best of their records. If you don't believe me, believe this, about Rattlesnakes, from Allmusic:

"One of the finest debuts of the '80s, and possibly the defining album of the whole U.K. indie jangle scene that also included Prefab Sprout, Aztec Camera, and dozens of other bands, Lloyd Cole and the Commotions' Rattlesnakes is a college rock masterpiece of smart, ironic lyrics and sympathetic folk-rock-based melodies." [source]

I couldn't have said it better. Plus, Cole name-drops Leonard Cohen in the song Speedboat.


No comments: