Friday, February 13, 2015

Phil Collins: Hello, I Must Be Going! (1982)


After the solid and rather dark Face Value record, Collins returned with the less solid and more upbeat Hello, I Must be Going! It has some OK songs, but generally, I feel that it is not as good as the first. Occasionally, Allmusic says something that is truly perplexing. In the brief review of this record, the reviewer states: "...in retrospect, Hello, I Must Be Going! laid the groundwork for his breakthrough album, No Jacket Required." I assume the reviewer means 'breakthrough' in terms of sales and commercial appeal, and not in terms of quality.

Incidentally, I mistyped the title as Hell, I must be Going! In hindsight, that seems like a much better title. In any case, I do like his faithful cover of You Can't Hurry Love.

No comments: