Monday, March 09, 2015

Elvis Costello: My Aim is True (1977)


My Aim is True has to be one of the finest debut records of all time. It's not as good as Leonard Cohen's first record, but what is? My Aim is True is a kind of punky new wave with a few other musical influences thrown in to the mix.

As everyone knows, Costello's backing band was Clover, who went on to be the backing band for Huey Lewis, under the name of The News. I should mention that, in 1977, I had never heard of Elvis Costello. I was young and out-of-touch with some musical trends.

If there is one sad thing to report, it's that my copy of this record has a few scratches, though it still sounds great. It was second hand, and cost me $0.

Here are a couple of live tracks, since there appear to have been no official videos made back then.

No comments: