Friday, April 17, 2015

The Cure: Seventeen Seconds (1980)


Seventeen Seconds opens with a subdued piano-heavy instrumental which sets a languorous tone soon to be overturned by the uplifting Play for Today.

It's not a case of doing what's right
It's just the way I feel that matters
Tell me I'm wrong
I don't really care

My favourite period of the Cure is their first four records. I didn't always feel that way. Back in the 80s, I preferred The Top onwards, and was less interested in the early period. After all of the years, I think that the sound and atmosphere they created early on is much superior to the danceable Close to Me and In Between Days, etc. There's a bit of Joy Division in the sound, perhaps. In any case, this record is amazing.

This fan video takes a too literal interpretation of A Forest, which would feature in my top ten list of Cure songs, if I had a top ten list. If you've never heard it, have a listen. The guitars, drums, bass, and keyboards are all really interesting. By the way, my copy is an import from West Germany.

No comments: