Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Devo: Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! (1978)

Untitled
Are Devo punk, art-rock, post-punk, new wave? Are they college rock, alternative, indie, synth pop? Who knows? They were cool, at any rate. Back in the day, I liked the guitar and was a little suspicious of synthesizers, but that probably had a lot to do with my brother's love of the disco queens. Devo put synthesizers to very good use. Some tracks sounded almost like punk, I guess.

we're pinheads now
we are not whole
we're pinheads all
jocko homo
are we not men?
D-E-V-O
monkey men all
in business suit
teachers and critics
all dance the poot
are we not men?
we are DEVO!
are we not men?
D-E-V-O

I'd pick this record as one of the best of 1978. It's always difficult to choose a favourite, and several other great records came out that year (Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy, XTC - White Music, Lou Reed - Street Hassle, Ultravox - Systems of Romance, etc.).

I don't like the cover version of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, but the rest is great. If you are looking for an interesting cover of Satisfaction, I can recommend the version by The Residents. You can find it on Youtube. Jocko Momo, in my humble opinion, is awesome.

No comments: