Thursday, July 09, 2015

Dire Straits: Dire Straits (1978)

Untitled
No money in our jackets and our jeans are torn
Your hands are cold but your lips are warm



Of course, everyone knows the fantastic track Sultans of Swing from this record. (As an aside, I really hate it when radio stations cut off the ending of this song, just the way I hate it when radio stations cut off the ending of Higher Ground, the Red Hot Chili Peppers' cover of the Stevie Wonder tune. Why can't they just wait until the song is over? On the other hand, I rarely listen to the radio, so it doesn't matter anymore).

The debut record from Dire Straits is a truly great record from start to finish. When I first heard this record, I assumed that the rest of the songs wouldn't be as good as that track, but I was wrong. There is not a bad song on it. To me, this is the best Dire Straits record, and this the best track:

No comments: