Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Dire Straits: Love Over Gold (1982)

Untitled
I bought this record because I really liked the track Industrial Disease, which had received plenty of airplay on the radio. Imagine my surprise when, upon listening to the record, I found that Industrial Disease wasn't even the best song on the record. Love Over Gold commences with what must be regarded as the best Dire Straits song of all time - Telegraph Road. It's an epic 14 minute+ track. Of course, a 14 minute tracks isn't going to leave room for too many other songs, so the album only has 5 songs, but they are all good ones. Check out the unembeddable fan video for Telegraph Road.

I suppose this record announces the end of the blues-rock thing they were doing, but on this record at least, that is fine with me.

No comments: