Monday, August 10, 2015

Dream Warriors: My Definition Of A Boombastic Jazz Style (1991)

Untitled
Growing up in Canada in a certain era meant that you knew the TV show Definition. If you are of a later vintage, you know Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. In both cases, a debt is owed to Quincy Jones for Soul Bossa Nova, which was used as the theme in both. The Dream Warriors, a Canadian jazzy hip hop group, heavily sampled this tune for My Definition Of A Boombastic Jazz Style. I think it's no coincidence that they employed the word Definition, as an homage to that TV show. I am sure that Mike Myers was also aware of the history of this track from a Canadian's perspective. I wonder if Jim Perry ever heard this song.

Oddly, this pressing is a US pressing. I've never seen a Canadian pressing. Here are the tracks on the 12" single:

My Definition Of A Boombastic Jazz Style (Soul Bossanova Mix)
My Definition Of A Boombastic Jazz Style (Echo Mix)
My Definition Of A Boombastic Jazz Style (Empty Mix)
U Never Know A Good Thing Till U Lose It


If you look closely, you will see a cameo in the video from Maestro Fresh Wes.

No comments: