Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Duran Duran: Duran Duran (1981)

Untitled
Punk or punk/new wave is often used to describe this band, but I would say they were primarily new wave or new romantic, but with a top 40 feel. In other words, they were in no way a college rock band, at least to me. But, sometimes, labels are difficult to get right.

Back in the day, I was more interested in music that was a little stranger and less commercial, and I can say that I was not a fan when Duran2 burst onto the scene. I thought they had some OK songs, but I never bought any of their records new. Instead, I picked up everything I own for very very cheap here and there. I never paid more than $2 for any of them.

Duran Duran made the most of music videos and sex. Just have a look at the uncensored version of Girls on Film, especially the last minute, or so.  It was an adolescent's dream, though hard to see at the time. You should be able to view it here or here or here. It's definitely NSFW.

The Canadian pressing of the debut record from Duran Duran differs from the original UK pressing. I just cannot understand why record companies mess around with releases in different markets. Instead of To the Shore, Planet Earth was used as the lead off track. There are other differences that I can't be bothered describing.



No comments: