Sunday, September 06, 2015

Bob Dylan: Shadows in the Night (2015)

Untitled
As much as I appreciate digital downloads that come with some new vinyl pressings, I prefer the inclusion of the CD. This pressing, on 180 gram vinyl, includes the CD. I bought the whole package for under $10. Unlike some folks, I really like later Bob Dylan. Modern Times, Together Through Life, Love and Theft, parts of Tempest, etc. are all amazing.

I dropped the needle on this one a while back and my 14-year-old daughter made some sort of disparaging comment about it. She couldn't quite believe what she was hearing, and she meant it in a negative way. I gather that her opinion had more to do with the voice of the singer, rather than the production and music itself. Dylan's vocal performance is stellar. I preferred the direction he was taking on Modern Times and Together Through Life. But, it is interesting to hear his interpretation of these songs, all at one time recorded by Sinatra. In general, I like it very much, but the listening mood has to be the right one.

No comments: