Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Electric Dreams: Original Soundtrack (1984)

Untitled
Once again, I have a soundtrack for a movie I have never seen. The Electric Dreams soundtrack is notable for the inclusion of the only Culture Club songs in my record and CD collections. I remember when Do Your Really Want to Hurt Me came out and some of my forward-thinking friends felt that this band fit into the cool new wave sound. I disagreed and thought that the band was appallingly bad. I also had a friend who felt that Madonna was also the next best cool thing when her first album came out. Oddly, this friend had comparatively good taste in music, so that perplexed me. Some people are easily taken in.

The rest of the record has some interesting tracks, from the likes of Georgio Moroder, Jeff Lynne, Heaven 17, etc. It's OK, I guess, but it's not a brilliant record. I suppose the most popular track was Together in Electric Dreams by Philip Oakey and Giorgio Moroder.

According to Wikipedia, the film "depicts a love triangle between a man, a woman and a personal computer." Hmm. The article goes on to say: "Fans of Electric Dreams have noted the similarities between the film and Spike Jonze's Her. But when asked about it, Jonze claimed not to have seen the former film." [source] I haven't see that film either.

No comments: