Monday, January 25, 2016

A Flock of Seagulls: A Flock of Seagulls (1982)

Untitled
"New wave and synth pop act from Liverpool, remembered more for their teased haircuts than their parade of infectious hits."
- Allmusic

Really? If the history of rock has taught us anything, it's that old people shouldn't ridicule the youth for fashion choices. Whoever wrote this is a true Herbert. "Oh, Herbert, you are stiff!"

The band's biggest and most enduring hit--I Ran--was given the most prominent place on the record, that being the first track on side A. It's a pretty good song:

"I walked along the avenue.
I never thought I'd meet a girl like you;
Meet a girl like you.
With auburn hair and tawny eyes;
The kind of eyes that hypnotize me through;
Hypnotize me through."

Once again, the record label played games with this release. The US and Canadian pressings are different from the original UK pressing. Tokyo is missing from the Canadian pressing.
 
I will agree that this band is a little light, but they wrote some catchy and enjoyable tunes, like Telecommunication, D.N.A., and Modern Love is Automatic. They were a solid 80s band.

No comments: