Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Peter Gabriel: So (1986)

Untitled
When this record appeared, I told anyone who would listen that I thought that So was the worst thing Peter Gabriel ever put on vinyl. I got some curious looks and some backtalk, mostly from people who only knew Shock the Monkey or had heard him for the first time on Sledgehammer. I take some consolation in the knowledge that one person agreed with me, and he is someone who shared similar musical tastes. In hindsight, nostalgia has tempered my view somewhat. Maybe I was distressed over the musical changes. After all, Allmusic called this record "the catchiest, happiest record he ever cut." Peter Gabriel is not supposed to be happy.

In any case, on first listen, I was appalled by Big Time and Sledgehammer, though I admired his videos from that era. On the positive side, I have always liked the tracks We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37) and This Is The Picture (Excellent Birds). However, as much as I like Kate Bush, I have never liked Don't Give Up and I have always disliked In Your Eyes.

>br />

No comments: