Thursday, April 14, 2016

Genesis: Genesis (1983)

Untitled
Back in high school, some of my friends were absolutely enamoured with the track Mama. In fact, at a school dance, they tried to get as many people as possible to request that the DJ play that song. The replied by saying that no one would dance to it. But, after a couple of dozen requests, the DJ relented.

To me, this is a schizophrenic record. It has some really commercial moments, like That's All, which really is a nice snappy little tune. Illegal Alien is simply offensive to any Genesis fan. And, if I were Mexican, I think I would be pissed off at the moustaches, the references to tequila, and the hangover. In other words, it brings in a whole bunch of Mexican stereotypes. What's worse is that Phil Collins sings in a pseudo-Mexican accent. This is a case where the band seems to have lost its way. I suppose one might be able to argue that while the track might come across as racist, that may not have been the intent, but the execution is definitely problematic. In any case, I think it's a lesser Genesis song.

I am also not a fan of Takin' It All Too Hard or It's Gonna Get Better. They are rather anaemic. Just a Job to Do is OK but not great. On the plus side, there are some good moments, like Silver Rainbow, Home by the Sea and Second Home by the Sea. And, I don't mind Mama.

But, back to the school dance. No one danced to that song when the DJ finally put on the record. I mean, how could you? The DJ abandoned the track less than halfway through and put on some unmemorable top 40 track that I cannot remember.

No comments: