Friday, April 01, 2016

Genesis: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974)

Untitled
This sprawling double LP was the last to feature Peter Gabriel. After seven records with Genesis, he opted to try something else. This all happened well before my awareness of Genesis or Peter Gabriel commenced, so I was not upset that he departed :)

"In every way, it's a considerable, lasting achievement and it's little wonder that Peter Gabriel had to leave the band after this record: they had gone as far as they could go together, and could never top this extraordinary album." [source]

I think that's probably correct, though there are certain things that I do not like about the record. As I have already mentioned, Selling England by the Pound is probably my favourite Genesis record. I might even choose A Trick of the Tail as my second favourite. But, this record is amazing in all kinds of ways, even though it is difficult to know what it's really all about. There are some really great tracks on this record.

I suppose the most recognizable tracks are the title track, Carpet Crawlers, and maybe Fly on a Windshield. I wonder why that wasn't called Fly on a Windscreen? But, the record is packed with greatness, so take your pick.

No comments: