Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Genesis: Spot the Pigeon (1977)

Untitled
Steve Hackett left the band after Wind and Wuthering, but he appears here on these leftovers from that record. This EP was released on blue and black vinyl. I have the black vinyl version, which some people will tell you is rarer than the blue version, but I am not convinced. When I looked up the record on Wikipedia, I learned something that I had never known. Apparently, the band disliked the track Match of the Day. Phil said this:

"It was also not our finest hour looking back at it now!!! I wrote the embarrassing lyrics and the track featured an attempt to bring some of the hipper grooves of the day into Genesis, with very suspect results." It does sound like an effort to write a song for a football league, or some such thing. This EP is not top shelf Genesis. Allmusic is right here:

"Spot the Pigeon has never been a popular or even very accessible release in the U.S. Of course, there's a reason for this: It simply isn't very exciting. As a result, it's never been in high demand." [source]

No comments: