Thursday, April 21, 2016

Goddo: Who Cares (1978)

Untitled
This record is entitled Who Cares, I guess. If you read all of the text on the cover, the real title might be:  If Indeed It's Lonely At The Top WHO CARES It's Lonely At The Bottom Too! I mean, that's what is printed on the jacket, but others just refer to it simply as Who Cares, without a question mark.

Once again, it was released only in Canada. I suppose it can be hard to make it in the music business if your records aren't being released in the USA.


I'd argue that this record is better than the first. So many bands or singers have a hard time with the second record, but not in this case. Cock On is probably the most recognizable track. I also really like Sweet Thing and Oh Carole (Kiss My Whip), a sexual tribute to Carole Pope of Rough Trade. Oddly (and this will come up much later), Carole Pope was apparently the world's first openly-lesbian singer, so it's odd that Godovitz would sing about her in a very heterosexual way. But, as a adolescent, she did something for me, but more on that later.

No comments: