Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The Government: 33 ⅓ RPM E.P. (1979)

Untitled
I know I said I wasn't going to discuss my 7" record collection, but this is one I have to include, mostly because it's an EP with 4 tracks, rather than the usual 2 tracks. I do have other 7" records like this. The other odd thing is that it plays at 33 ⅓ rather than the usual 45 RPM for small records.

I'd call this a punk band, though some have seen fit to use the term post-punk. Either will do. Just don't call them a new wave band. It's almost impossible to describe the music on this record, so I'm going to insist that you listen to the youtube content, below. All I can say is that it's awesome. My copy is a minty fresh piece of vinyl. I recently saw a used copy on the shelf of a local record store with a $30 price tag attached to it. I know I paid about $5.

Side A:

Flat Tire
Get You Sleepin'

Side B:

Zippers of Fire
Sponge

Wikipedia has a brief entry for Andy Paterson, the lead singer of the band. He also has a website.

No comments: