Monday, June 20, 2016

George Harrison ‎– Extra Texture (Read All About It) (1975)

Untitled
I have the US Winchester pressing, which seems identical to the Jacksonville pressing, but I could be wrong. Both come in a die-cut "pigskin" textured sleeve.

This record was his final recording for Apple Records. Many people, including Peter Sellers, are listed as not appearing on the record, which I guess is funny. Wikipedia notes that "[a]mong his solo releases, Extra Texture is notable as the only album whose lyrics are devoid of any obvious spiritual message." Maybe that's why I don't hate it, when many others do. I think this record is widely regarded as a soul effort, which makes it less interesting than it should be. Also, there is little of substance in the lyrics, so maybe he was struggling with the idea of a non-spiritual record. While I don't hate it, this is probably is weakest record, but the following track, which seems like a fairly obvious sequel to While My Guitar Gently Weeps, is pretty good.

No comments: