Thursday, June 16, 2016

George Harrison: Living in the Material World (1973)

Untitled
This is a really great George record, but I gather that some listeners found themselves let down after the brilliant triple album, All Things Must Pass. That's too bad because this is a really strong record.

I've always loved George's voice and his guitar playing, so I am usually fully engaged, with some exceptions. Bowie did a really good cover of Try Some Buy Some IMHO. Unfortunately, when I think of this record, what often comes to mind is Madonna's Material Girl, even though the line she uses is "living in a material world," which is subtly different. It's also a really terrible song. But, I will be frank: there is no Madonna music that I like, although I think there are a couple of tracks on Ray of Light that are not offensive ear worms.


No comments: